Thursday, July 29, 2010

How do I get my ex-girl, who left, off the home mortgage? Do I refi or do a quit claim deed to get her off?

The mortgage is in both our names. Can I refi with my parents as co borrowers? Please help, I am over my head, and I don't want to lose the house.How do I get my ex-girl, who left, off the home mortgage? Do I refi or do a quit claim deed to get her off?
There are two separate issues here, the mortgage and the deed..





Whether you can refinance without her is up to the lending companies. In most cases, with your parents as co-signers with good credit, you should be able to pull this off if your income is close to what is needed.





If she is also on the deed to the property, that will need to be handled via the county records office (this is where the quit-claim could come in).





Handle the mortgage first would be my suggestion, contact your lender and explain the situation, see what they can do.How do I get my ex-girl, who left, off the home mortgage? Do I refi or do a quit claim deed to get her off?
Stop.


Deep breath.


Call your lender. Explain. ASk them for advice.





You can't Q/C her interest. Only she can do that. (And a Q/C is the WORST way for her to deed out. Warranty deed or deed of gift.) And if you re-fi without an agreement from her to deed out, you may be giving her an interest in the house she may not deserve.





After you have talked to your lender, talk to a lawyer

No comments:

Post a Comment