Sunday, August 22, 2010

How much rent should I pay living in my girlfriends house, if her mortgage is $1600?

She is requesting that I pay half, but she emphasizes it is her house and until there is an official long term commitment, I do not want to be part of the investing in the house, I just want to contribute as if I was a renter.How much rent should I pay living in my girlfriends house, if her mortgage is $1600?
Look at Craigslist under ';rooms for rent'; and see what others are paying in your area for sharing a home. Assume full access (rather than ';kitchen privileges'; or whatever) and go by what looks fair from there. I don't think you should pay a straight half because she is getting the benefit of equity from being the owner while you are not - she should pay a bit more to offset that.How much rent should I pay living in my girlfriends house, if her mortgage is $1600?
She should rent to you with a contract as with any other roommate and charge you the going rate. If you are getting full use of the house, you should pay the going rate. Can you find a rent for $800? You should also pay half the utilities , groceries...If what she asks is unacceptable, Find a place to live.





Forget playing the ';I don't want to invest in the house'; game, you aren't. You will have to pay rent most anywhere, as you should want to do. She has a mortgage, taxes, insurance, utilities and maintenance to pay. It is also her good credit that bought the house.





You should also continue to pay, even with the long term commitment. If...If you get married, then you would be wise to still contribute.





The odds are one of you will get annoyed with the other, and you will split. Keeping the rental agreement on a professional level will make it easier for you to move. You both will have an understanding of what is expected. Do not get into a vindictive pissing contest.
Honestly, I would rent a room from someone else and not have a girlfriend. Also make sure she doesn't get pregnant.





But to answer the question, you should pay zero dollars because she benefits from her boyfriend living there and she will have a mortgage regardless if you were with her or not. However, if you are a schmuck and feel obligated to pay, find out what is the rental rate of her house and pay half. I would sign a cohabitation agreement to protect yourself and do not co-mingle your money with hers.





Regards
She's a smart woman. If you live in her house, use HER water and electricity, etc., you should pay 1/2 of the living expenses. I personally think people should wait till they're married to live together (this being one of the bigger reasons), but that's not answering the question you asked. It is answering hers though. Legally, it is HER house until you get married or she adds you to the title and mortgage. Pay $800/month.
OK that is amazing, I think you guys mess the love with finances. If she loves you just move to her and be both be happy, live like a family. That we do in Europe and we have twice less divorces than US. Just enjoy the life guys. After you get married just sign prenuptial agreement and that it is. Easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment